Helikit™, a 13C breath test is used for the detection of H. Pylori, a bacterium that infects a large portion of the population. Helikit™ is currently available in Canada and internationally.
Features and Benefits
Helikit™ is a novel, non-invasive, non-radioactive and convenient breath test kit for the diagnosis of H. Pylori. Since Helikit™ is non-radioactive, it is safe to be used on children over the age of 6 and during pregnancy.
- Highly accurate with 98 % sensitivity and 95 % specificity. UBT is considered the new gold standard for H-pylori detection
- Overall diagnostic accuracy of 96 %
- Non-invasive; no harmful side-effects and safe to be used on children over the age of 6 and during pregnancy
- Ease of use for staff and patient
- Highly reliable post eradication
In the diagnosis of uninvestigated dyspepsia, UBT is preferred over other diagnostic tests for its accuracy, non-invasiveness and simple administration. According to the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology (CAG), “urea breath test (not serology) should be used for routine diagnosis of H. pylori infection.” Comparison of serologic testing and UBT has shown the latter to be consistently superior for the diagnosis of H. pylori infection. Notably, serology cannot be used to determine cure, since it takes 6 – 12 months for the test to report ‘negative’ once the infection has cleared.
- Clinical Validation of the HelikitTM: A 13C Urea Breath Test Used for the Diagnosis of Helicobacter Pylori Infection
- CMAJ: An evidence-based approach to the management of uninvestigated dyspepsia in the era of Helicobater Pylori
- New England Journal of Medicine: Helicobacter pylori Infection