Frequently Asked Questions
about FibroScan® devices and Covid-19
1. Where can I find information on cleaning and disinfecting my FibroScan®?
This information is available on the dedicated page Recommendations for Cleaning and Disinfecting your FibroScan®.
2. How were the recommended disinfectant agents for the probes selected?
Echosens has performed tests to evaluate the compatibility of several disinfectant agents. The recommended disinfectant agents did not damage the probes after prolonged exposure. Tests have not been performed by Echosens to verify the biological effectiveness of disinfectant agents.
3. What would happen if I use a disinfectANT agent that is not present in the list of agents recommended by Echosens?
Disinfectant agents that are not listed by Echosens could have an unknown or harmful impact on the probes. This may include, degrading cosmetic or functional performance, damaging device surfaces or labels, causing immediate or longer-term equipment failures. To avoid damaging the probes, please refrain from using disinfectant agents that have not been approved by Echosens.
Please consult thelist of approved disinfecting products.
4.What are the specific recommendations related to SARS-CoV-2?
Echosens has not tested any cleaning agent for disinfecting effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2. The manufacturer of the disinfectant products determines the efficacy of such agents. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has released a list of products that meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2. Echosens has crossed-referenced compatible probe disinfectant agents with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) List N (products that meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2). We also checked the cleaning agent manufacturer claims effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2.
Please refer to the cross-referenced list.
It is essential to follow the guidelines for local protocols at your facility. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has published Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations.
5. Can I use disposable probe covers to prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission?
Echosens does not recommend to use disposable covers on the probes as this might impair the performances of the FibroScan®.
6. Are the FibroScan devices and probes being disinfected prior to being shipped?
FibroScan® devices and probes are being cleaned before packaging. Nevertheless, it is recommended to disinfect FibroScan® probes before use.
7. Where can I find additional information related to cleaning and disinfection for SARS-CoV-2?
The situation regarding SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 is rapidly evolving. New information is being gathered daily.
Additional information can be found on the following websites:
- US CDC:
- US EPA: https://www.epa.gov/coronavirus
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC): https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china
- National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Japan: https://www.niid.go.jp/niid/images/epi/corona/2019nCoV-01-200319.pdf